Go Nuts for (Protein) Doughnuts
- Jun 17, 2021
Indulge Your Cravings with this Guilt-free DIY Cake Doughnut Recipe from the INFINIT Test Kitchen
Waking up on Saturday mornings as a kid I would sprint down the stairs and begin begging my parents to take me to my favorite donut shop.
Mom typically always held strong, insisting we had plenty to eat for breakfast at home. But my dad? He was typically persuaded a little easier. With a very spirited “please, please, pleaseeeee dad! I won't eat them in the car, I promise!”
With that we were off — It was my absolute favorite way to start the weekend.
As a kid I LOVED donuts. Okay, who am I kidding, I still love donuts — Glazed, twisted, jelly-filled, mini, powdered, dunked or dry, I adore them all.
No matter how you like them, it’s no secret that donuts aren’t exactly considered a “health food.” These yummy pastries are typically packed with simple carbs and saturated fat, so for the average person, they’re probably best enjoyed as an occasional treat.
But we’re turning that notion on its head by taking everyone’s favorite morning treat, and reworking the recipe to create a protein-packed option that can actually be used as a light breakfast or post-workout fuel.
These delicious cinnamon-sugar coated donuts don’t just have to be a treat. By incorporating protein into the mix, you can actually create a guilt free (or less) option for everyone!
Ingredients and cooking method
These cinnamon-sugar donuts provide a treat that can curb those sweet-tooth cravings without the guilt.
Baking versus frying, which is the traditional preparation method, provides a healthier option, and cuts the fat content immensely.
Here at INFINIT we specialize in customizing nutrition for the individual, so we’ve taken this recipe and made it adaptable to your personal preference — With an option for those of you with a super sweet tooth, and a lower sugar option for those who are looking to reduce their added sugar intake.
Using our RAW pure grass-fed whey protein powder or Repair complete recovery mix, these donuts are packed with a protein punch and provide the carbohydrates your body needs to power through your workouts.
2 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 serving Raw or Repair
2 egg whites + 1 egg yolk
2 tbsp butter (melted)
1 ¼ cup low-fat milk
1 tsb Butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & spray donut pans with non-stick spray
- Combine all of the dry ingredients and set aside
- Add both egg whites to a bowl on their own, set aside
- Combine remainder of wet ingredients (egg yolk only) set aside
- Take the bowl with the egg whites only, and beat to a soft peak (see photo below) and set aside
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, continue stirring until smooth
- After both wet and dry ingredients have been combined together take the egg whites and slowly fold them into the batter a little bit at a time. Stir until smooth
- Spoon batter into donut pans until about ¾ full
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the doughnuts are golden and firm to the touch.
- While donuts are baking, combine cinnamon and sugar together and melt 1 TBSP of butter
- Remove donuts from oven and let sit for 5 minutes
- Remove donuts from the pan and brush with butter and lightly dip into cinnamon-sugar mixture and enjoy!
Room temperature — Let the donuts cool completely and keep in airtight container for up to 3 days
Refrigerate — Keep donuts in airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week
Freeze — You can freeze donuts by wrapping them in foil and placing them in a freezer safe bag. Thaw at room temperature.
Try it out and let us know what you think! Share your pictures with us on social media!
About the Author
Sam Rodgers is a 2020-2021 Dietetic student intern who currently is completing her final undergraduate year at the University of Cincinnati and is preparing to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. INFINIT Nutrition is proud to partner with the University of Cincinnati's Coordinated Program in Dietetics (CPD) to provide our next generation of nutrition professionals an opportunity to spend time with the INFINIT Team and gain real-life experience of working at a sports nutrition company.