What even is a Buckeye anyways? Here in Ohio, we know it as our state tree AND a delicious chocolate peanut butter truffle. Inspired by nature, many bakers try to make this confection look like an actual Buckeye nut.
Buckeyes are a great easy, no-bake dessert that just so happens to be the perfect recipe to add our RAW protein powder to. Chocolate peanut butter is one of the most popular and loved flavor combinations to ever exist, making buckeyes extremely well-liked and favored by many. They are great to make together with family, friends, and loved ones and can be given as a unique and special gift idea!
INFINIT’s RAW protein is a grass-fed whey protein only made with 100% natural and clean ingredients and packed with 20 g of high-quality protein. Since it is unflavored, it is the perfect addition to any recipe your heart desires, including baked goods, confections (buckeyes), coffee, shakes, and so much more. RAW pairs amazing with the Buckeyes, sneaking in extra protein without adding any additional flavors or sweetness.
Protein serves countless functions in the body, including building and repairing muscle, skin, and other tissues. Proteins also aid in proper body movement, fighting infections, maintaining proper pH and fluid balance, and carrying out chemical reactions in our body. In endurance athletes, protein is extremely important for the transport of oxygen to the muscles, controlling fluid volume, and maintenance of lean muscle mass.
Yields 32 buckeyes
Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes (including chill time)
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 scoops of RAW grass-fed whey protein
- 1 ½ cup of creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups of confectioners sugar
- 6 TB butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips (to melt)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (to melt)
- Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together the protein powder, peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt together until firm and smooth.
- Using a spoon, scoop out balls (about the size of a tablespoon) and roll into a ball using the palms of your hands. Arrange the balls onto the baking sheet so they aren’t touching and refrigerate for 20-25 minutes until firm.
- With 5 minutes to go in the refrigeration process, begin to prepare the outer chocolate coating. Combine the 8 oz. of chocolate with the vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl and begin microwaving in 30-second increments until fully melted.
- Once the chocolate is ready, pull the peanut butter balls from the refrigerator.
- Using a toothpick or other skewer, pierce the center of the peanut butter ball, making sure it is firm and will not fall off in the dipping process. Dip the peanut butter ball into the chocolate, coating the bottom, sides, and part of the top so only a small circle of the peanut butter ball is showing at the top. Repeat this process until all the balls are coated.
- Place the balls back onto the baking sheet and chill the buckeyes for 30 seconds.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Caroline Eifert is a 2020-2021 Dietetic student intern who spent time at INFINIT while completing her final undergraduate year at the University of Cincinnati in preparation for becoming a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. INFINIT Nutrition is proud to partner with the University of Cincinnati's Coordinated Program in Dietetics (CPD) to provide our next generation of nutrition professionals an opportunity to spend time with the INFINIT Team and gain real-life experience working at a sports nutrition company.